Don't get surprised when you read the title. I was not alienated :P.
But i was away from my real world, the only mine. Didn't get time to read, think, write, cook, talk with BITTU (My parrot pet) for almost a week. The reason was EXAMS; The single activity I have not been able to analyze. Analyze in the terms of its usefulness, productivity.
To test on my math, lets count the number of exams i have appeared till date:
School from Standard 1- Class i graduated: 4 exams a year * 16 years = 64 exams
64 exams * 6 subjects (minimum) = 384exams
Post graduation: 6 subjects* 6 exams = 36 exams/year and the counting still continues.....
The above math is excluding the tutorials, tests, quizzes and vivas'. {the POOR me :-(}
WOW!! I'm feeling proud of myself for studying for 400+ exams. But the next moment my pride is all dissolved.
(Don't think i have taken the exams like glucose).I have all written sincerely. (My D-circles serve proof for it, they remained pretty long :D :P)
Jokes apart, why is there no feeling of pride? Because i hardly remember what is static electricity, the wars in history books, the formation of metamorphic rocks, the endocrine glands, the chemical structure of ether, benzene, the reactions of fuming hydrochloric acid, the types of muscles in frog (is that muscles or something different, i dont even remember that)!!!
Then why was i taught all that, which i could not remember? Could any body recall all that he/she has learned?? The pragmatic answer for this is NO. Then why put in resources like time, money, energy, mental efforts in something which has not been productive.
I also agree that there is no other easy method like exams to gauge where the student *(Read Individual) stands academically.
But then this is not learning. This is not education. I am not a great system changer or developer. But what i understand is somewhere, sometime it is to be changed: From unproductive process to productive/ the REAL KNOWLEDGE GAINING PROCESS.
And my last line dedicated to all the VIRUSES :P (Principal VIRU from 3 idiots) ~~
THE BAROMETER OF EDUCATION IS NOT ACADEMICS
No comments:
Post a Comment